Workforce and Skills
Tees Valley’s long heritage and industry expertise means that there is a ready-skilled, affordable workforce available to businesses looking to invest here.
We have one of the most loyal and dedicated workforces going. A recent study showed that the North East has the highest percentage of employees taking no sickness in the UK. We also have some of the lowest staff turnover rates compared to other parts of the UK
Good to know
- There are a million and a half people of working ages within 30 miles of Tees Valley
- Wages rates in Tees Valley are typically 92% of the national average
- 50% of North East workers take no sickness pay, compared to 35% in the South East
However, despite all this, it’s the skills that keep companies coming in to the area.
Tees Valley is one of the most fertile places for developing talent, with the ever-expanding Teesside University home to 29,000 students, nearly 8000 of which study manufacturing and engineering courses. Specialist providers, like TTE, also provide professional technical training, making sure that we have the right people with the right skills to do the job.
- The numbers of students at Teesside University have grown 65% over the past decade, making it one of the fastest growing universities in the UK
- Teesside University was awarded the largest government grant of any university to work with industry
- There are a large number of courses specific to our key sectors currently available at Teesside University