As well as securing a deal to buy Teesside Airport and saving it from closure, Mayor Houchen has invested in and facilitated improvements to transport infrastructure across the Tees Valley, including the redevelopments of Darlington and Middlesbrough Station, a new Tees Crossing and a new on-demand bus service for rural communities.
Mayor Houchen’s priorities for transport investment includes:
- £75 million secured from the Government’s Transforming Cities Fund to improve local connectivity
- £25million to support the redevelopment of Darlington station
- £20million to fully fund the redevelopment of Middlesbrough station
- £8.2 million secured to improve three key road pinch points in Tees Valley
- Developing business cases for a new A19 Tees Crossing and bypass for Darlington
- £1 million investment to improve the region’s rail freight network.
- £220,000 to help bring a fleet of hydrogen road vehicles and new refuelling infrastructure to the region
- £4 million for the Elwick bypass, a vital new road in Hartlepool
- £1 million to improve disabled access at Billingham Station
- £3 million for an on-demand bus service for our rural communities