Tees Valley Careers
There are a wide range of career opportunities in Tees Valley across all our key sectors, as well as our growing sectors. Areas that are forecasted to be the main sectors for future job creation in the area are:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Chemical Processing
- Digital, Creative and IT
- Health Care
Tees Valley faces the same skills issues as the rest of the UK, and has an ageing workforce. Many people with key skills will be due to retire so it is important that these skills are not lost and passed on to the emerging workforce. Employers need to know that they can replace the skills they are going lose. There may be as many as 114,000 people currently employed who will need to be replaced before 2022, meaning there will be plenty of opportunities for those people with the right skills.
- There is a growing emphasis on STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) in schools, with Tees Valley employers requiring more young people with these skills.
- Over the next five years there will be a requirement for more health heath workers, such as nurses, doctors, dentists and pharmacists
- Employers in Tees Valley are currently experiencing difficulties in recruiting to some skilled roles, such as IT programmers, joiners, machine operatives and welders.
Although we can’t know for certain where the jobs of the future will be, the employment opportunities within Tees Valley are predicted to be growing within science related industries over the coming years. The type of future job roles available may include:
- Hybrid and low emission cars
- Energy efficient products
- New fuels, such as bio-fuels
- Wind farms and solar panels
- Digital health care and assistive technology